[Gllug] Which files link to an inode?

Simon Morris simon.morris at penguinit.com
Wed Apr 23 13:00:07 UTC 2003

<quote who="Richard Jones">

>> Am I right in saying the number after the permission bits are the number
>> of hard links associated?
>
> Yup.
>
>> What command can I run to see which other files are linked to this data,
>> so I can correctly delete the data.
>
> Unfortunately you need to do something like:
>
> find /mount/point -xdev -inum INODE_NUM -print
>
> Not sure if -xdev works on IRIX. If not, just omit it.
>
> Rich.

Hmmm, thanks for the help -- however......

server 22# ls -li

 352655799 drwxrwxrwx    5 root     sys           78 Apr 15 15:47 BAT.2723.1

<snip rest of directory listing>

server 23# find /psd1 -xdev -inum 352655799
-xdev: bad option
Usage: find path-list predicate-list

server 24# find /psd1 -inum 352655799

/psd1/server/archive/BAT.2723.1

So according to the server the only link to inode 352655799 is the
original directory I was on about.

You can't hard link over disk partitions, so where are the other 4 hard
links to that data?????

Footnote: This server is in a bad way and has been neglected for a while,
so I'm used to seeing strange things on it (disks not being seen after a
reboot etc) Also IRIX seems a little moody compared to Linux as well.

--
Simon Morris
simon.morris at penguinit.com

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk