[Gllug] SWAP over NFS

Adrian McMenamin Adrian.McMenamin at britainineurope.org.uk
Wed Apr 9 09:37:39 UTC 2003

-----Original Message-----
From: Tethys [mailto:tet at accucard.com]
Sent: 09 April 2003 09:33

James Bromberger writes:

>I would think of a simple way to do it: mount a partition, make a file,
>and then mount that via loopback (perhaps)? Sure, slow, but then again,
>this is (a) NFS, and (b) Swap, so having a loopback in there probably
>isnt going to be that big a percentage hinderance.

But that wouldn't work on a diskless workstation... In general, your
capacity planning should come up with a suitable amount of memory to
put on each workstation so that it doesn't swap. But what if it runs
out of memory? It's usually better to swap over NFS, no matter how
slow and potentially unreliable it may be, rather than to just OOM.

Tet

--

Yes - absolutely! And as I didn't have any say in how much memory a
Dreamcast has/had I cannot really be blamed for only having 16MB.

If I use a busybox based shell I have about 10 Megs free. If I use Debian
and bash I can have only a few hundred K - hence the need to use swap.

So does anyone know how. So far I have tried this:

dd to make a 32Meg file
mkswap to turn that into swap
Edit fstab to put the swap partition in
and swapon -a to try to mount it - but it fails with a variety of errors

istr that I need to mount something via loop - as I know someone else has
done this (mounted swap via NFS on a Dreamcast) and he did that I am sure -
but I cannot contact him at the moment, hence requests for general guidance.

Adrian