[Gllug] sendmail and KMail config

Xander D Harkness xander at harkness.co.uk
Sun Apr 27 21:32:42 UTC 2003

>I'm getting confused now - are you saying that some servers would reject my
>messages because richard at rj-turner.freeserve.co.uk doesn't look like a
>fully-qualified domain name?  There must be thousands of people with
>Freeserve addresses and they all look like that (except, perhaps, for the
>hyphen).  I've never had trouble with this email address.
>
>I have already come across servers that are rejecting messages from
>richard at melkor.zygous.co.uk but I would expect them to - that isn't a real
>domain name - it's my host name.  That's the problem I'm trying to solve -
>how to configure my sendmail so that messages routed through it appear to
>originate from my Freeserve account and therefore not get rejected by anyone.

I think what you are seeking to do is described here:

http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-7.1-Manual/ref-guide/s1-sendmail-changes.html

It allows your local machines on the network to have the hostnames
stripped from the domain part of the email address as it passes through
the server.

Kind regards
Xander

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk