[Gllug] USB keyboard/mouse and Debian

Richard Jones rich at annexia.org
Fri Apr 11 12:03:07 UTC 2003

I'm the lucky (?) owner of a "legacy-free" motherboard. ie. I had to
throw away my reliable old PS/2 keyboard and mouse and replace them
with flimsy USB equivalents.

The problem is it doesn't really work well under Debian. In the BIOS
there are two settings for the Keyboard, "BIOS" and "OS". Setting it
to "OS" means you can't type anything on the LILO command line or
after the machine has booted. Setting it to "BIOS" means I can type
on the LILO command line, and type after it boots.

HOWEVER, running /etc/init.d/usbmgr start after booting causes the
keyboard to hang ...

Needless to say, X doesn't work at all (/dev/input/mice has no device,
and /dev/psaux doesn't work either).

Anyone know what I need to do?

Rich.

--