[Gllug] Re: Insecure practices at my ISP

Adam Bower abower at thebowery.co.uk
Fri Apr 4 09:56:08 UTC 2003

Jason Clifford writes:

> On Thu, 3 Apr 2003, Garry Heaton wrote:

> Have you contacted PlusNet to tell them of your concerns? They are a
> reputable company so they should be receptive.

I informed them of the same/similar security problem when I was a customer
of theirs, this was well over 2 years ago (bad permissions on directories)
and also of a linux kernel ptrace (or similar) vulnerability and a few other
packages not being up to date on their server.

They didn't believe me at first and challenged me to prove the claim, I then
uploaded an example script and told them to run it which they did and the
comment was something along the lines of "Oh well I don't think we will
worry about that, its not really a big problem" they were no longer my
hosting co. about an hour after that.

Adam

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk