[Gllug] Shell > HTML

Lobster edjason at britishlibrary.net
Wed Apr 23 00:54:47 UTC 2003

>If you want to follow such a path then I suggest an alternative approach -
>make your project available for Windows in source form only.
>
>Jason Clifford

:-)
You probably understand what you are
doing and why . . .
:-)
I am very new to Linux
- not competing - not trying to win - radical
(a winning strategy . . .)

My interest is in a working system
that improves (for the users)
rather than 'improves'
for the suppliers of the OS.

I am not really interested (anymore) in the
mechanics . . .

As a new user I am finding Debian Lynix very secure.
So secure I can barely get in to save text files . . .
. . . oh dear . . .

:-)

Ah well . . .
[had to learn all about permissions]

Now I am interested in accessing the shell
from HTML

so for example a hyperlink
like this will access a persons local hard disk
(well on Windows it will)

file://localhost/C:/
file://localhost/D:/

Can I do something in HTML and shell combined?
the bash shell seems - well POWERFUL
- am I turning into a penguin nerd . . .
(I want to do a web page on a server/desktop
that shows the shell commands and perhaps runs
them/ explains/ links etc - maybe someone has done this?)
This would develop my understanding . . .

So what I am thinking of is html linked to small bash scripts
perhaps . . . ?

I am not really into the java/javascript
side (but could find someone for this . . .)
but would prefer to do it with HTML
and make it as clear as possible
as I feel the documentation
I have read so far is little more than
Martian Geek talk
(with no offence to Martian Geeks)
  . . . which I may just have been speaking . . .

Thanks guyz
Lobster Shell

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk