[Gllug] Hey Gllug - powerful, effective and intelligent anti-spam tool for you Ready!

Bernard Peek bap at shrdlu.com
Wed Apr 30 23:20:37 UTC 2003

In message <20030430132347.GA13157 at rumble.net>, Rev Simon Rumble
<simon at rumble.net> writes
>On Tue 29 Apr, itsbruce at uklinux.net bloviated thus:
>
>> Listar/Ecartis offers this as a built-in feature.  It can also be set to
>> convert html attachments to plain text or block all mime attachments.
>> It's not as fully featured as Mailman but I'd recommend it for simple
>> lists (now that it is actively developed and supported again).
>
>Actually I would say it's better featured than mailman.  It's not
>web-based, which I count as a bonus.  You can have multiple moderators
>who can't step on each others' toes (one-time cookies in the approval
>messages).  Approving is a matter of bouncing the message to an
>approval address.
>
>The best features are its HTML stripping and its enforcement of
>quoting limits.  This has effectively trained a lot of Outlook lusers
>on some of my lists how to be good citizens...

One feature that I want to see in a list-manager is intelligent
stripping of boilerplate text. A lot of list managers allow the
list-owner to add boilerplate at the end of each posting, typically
containing list-control and unsubscribing information.

If a list-member uses top-quoting then that boil;erplate usually gets
left on the bottom of the reply. Most list-managers will then add
another copy of the boilerplate below that. I've counted fifteen copies
of the boilerplate on one message, and each one was about 8 lines.

--
Bernard Peek
bap at shrdlu.com
www.diversebooks.com: SF & Computing book reviews and more.....