[Gllug] "linux is based on NT4, an 7 years old OS - very obso lette now..."

Mark Hazell nutts at penguinmail.com
Sun Apr 27 15:46:48 UTC 2003

On Sun, 27 Apr 2003 01:14:10 +0100 Chris typed:

> >> On 27 Apr 2003, Grzegorz Jaskiewicz <gj at pointblue.com.pl> said:
>
>    > "Linux itself is a clone of an operating system that is 20-plus
>    > years old. That's what it is. That is what you can get today, a
>    > clone of a 20-year-old system. I'm not saying that it doesn't
>    > have some place for some customers, but that is not an innovative
>    > proposition."
>
> "So, you're constantly behind by tens of percent[1] on market share
> for web server deployment by a system that's twenty years old?  Don't
> you think you should have, well, innovated past twenty year-old
> technology by now?  How does that make you feel?"
>
> Etc, etc.  :)
>
> - Chris.
>   [1]:
> http://news.netcraft.com/archives/2003/04/13/april_2003_web_server_survey.html

Sure but these are webserver software stats, not OS stats - you can run
Apache on Windows after all (in fact we have to for a few of our clients
at my work). I'd like to see some stats on Windows (web)servers against
Linux ones, but I think it'd be more evenly matched than the 60/30 or so
that it is on apache vs IIS comparisons.

Cheers,
Mark.

--
:wq