[Gllug] [OT] Patch versus Crossover

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Thu Aug 7 19:20:42 UTC 2003

On Thu 07 Aug, Adrian McMenamin wrote:

> Sysadmin at work has given me an unopened cable he says he doens't need/want
> because it is a cross over that was supplied in error. Thing is it is stamped
> all over with 'patch' but he says they were all like that!
>
> Thing is, looking at the cable, the red connectors are on the left of the
> connector at one end of the cable and the right on the other side which
> suggests to me it is indeed a patch.
>
> Who is right, me or him?

Standard ethernet connections 1 to 1    Cross wired cables are connected
         ___________________
         |                 |
W/O  ----|                -| 1          1  W/O  3  (W/G)
O/W  ----|Cable  Contacts -| 2          2  O/W  6  (G/W)
W/Gn  ---|............... -| 3          3  W/G  1  (W/O)
Gn/W  ---|                -| 6          6  G/W  2  (O/W)
W/Bn  ---|(Latch below)   -| 7
Bn/W  ---|                -| 8          Others not normally specified

Pairs DO cross over in the middle!

--
Chris Bell

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk