[Gllug] Verdict on Slimp3 player

Richard Jones rich at annexia.org
Fri Aug 8 11:30:01 UTC 2003

On Fri, Aug 08, 2003 at 12:24:05PM +0100, Rev Simon Rumble wrote:
> On Fri 08 Aug, Richard Jones bloviated thus:
>
> > The bottom line is it works, and it sounds pretty good. Receipt of the
> > box -> installed and working was around 10 minutes.
>
> I've watched these boxes since before they were released.  I like the
> idea of a dumb, ethernet-connected device like this.  However, they're
> VERY expensive considering what you get.
>
> Do you think it's worth it?

Well I happened to have 200 quid to burn in this instance (which is
nice!), but I agree they're expensive. To really take off I think
they'd have to be priced in the UKP 100 range.

Still, they look good and do the job, and pretty crucially they're the
only ones around which work flawlessly with Linux, and have true free
drivers and good attitude from the manufacturers. I think that counts
for a lot.

Rich.

--
Richard Jones. http://www.annexia.org/ http://freshmeat.net/users/rwmj