[Gllug] can't switch between virtual terminals

Ian Norton bredroll at darkspace.org.uk
Mon Aug 4 18:29:08 UTC 2003

Hello, I am top posting,

I have read the other posts, it does seem that your machine is set-up to only
have one virtual console, take a look in /etc/inittab and find the lines with
'getty' these are the ones with your vcons setups in, i expect you will only
see 1 line enabled and the others commented out,

its something people sometimes do if they have a box where console wont work
correctly on thier monitors, (ie, my Sun LX and its fixed frequency Radius
screen)  just un comment those lines or write some new ones and then become
root and reboot,

Ian

On Mon, Aug 04, 2003 at 11:26:38AM +0100, Sean Burlington wrote:
> Hi all,
> 	I'm having a few annoying problems with debian at the moment ...
>
> I have taken over a job and computer - the computer runs Debian woody on
> a compaq evo
>
> mostly things work Ok - but I can't switch between virtual terminals - I
> can get tty1 but nothing else
>
> X starts OK and I am happily working in kde - but if I log out or switch
> to tty1 - I cant get back to X :(
>
> a (related?) problem is that I can't start X apps from root's xterm
>
> any ideas ?
>
> I guess I'm going to need to post a bunch of config files - but I'll
> wait for requests as there is so much I could post ...
>
> --
>
> Sean
>

> --

----- Message of the Hour ------