[Gllug] OT: Photo CDs

Mike Brodbelt mike at coruscant.demon.co.uk
Tue Aug 26 19:48:44 UTC 2003

On Thu, 2003-08-21 at 14:10, abower at thebowery.co.uk wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 21, 2003 at 01:56:44PM +0100, Richard Jones wrote:
> >
> > I'm looking forward to getting a Canon Powershot S40 (or the nearest
> > available version) and cutting out the middle-man.
>
> Stuff the S40 I just heard about this baby :D
> http://www.eos-magazine.com/News_40_EOS300D.html

The S40 and the 300D are totally different animals. The S40 is a nice 4
megapixel compact camera that produces sharp images out of the camera,
and provides enough settings for you to play around with. The 300D is a
real SLR which will produce relatively soft images out of the camera,
with a radically lower depth of field. You can pick up an S40 and get
decent pictures, but if you use a 300D in full auto you'll probably be
very disappointed. Also, all DSLR's on the market don't provide live
preview on the LCD, and don't provide any video facility.

That said, if you want a DSLR, the 300D + EF-S 18-55, and maybe also the
new EF 55-200 will get you a very nice setup indeed, at a price which
can't be beaten right now. The 300D has the same sensor as the 10D, and
the 10D has lower noise at ISO 800 than the S40 does at ISO 50. Of
course once you have one of these things, you'll find that Canon's image
stabilised lenses start looking attractive, which is a quick way to
spend too much :-).

Mike.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk