[Gllug] Graduates paying for IT training before employment

Doug Winter doug at pigeonhold.com
Sun Aug 24 16:12:06 UTC 2003

On Sun 24 Aug Alasdair G Kergon wrote:
> We now see that the training is OK but expensive.  However, I am trying
> to get a feel for how unusual it is for a company to ask for someone to
> pay for their training up front and then employ them afterwards,
> provided they have succeeded in the training.

The 'guarantee' of a job is unlikely to hold any water, and that's the
only reason i can see to do the course with them as opposed to just
paying for it out of his own pocket.

Consultancies do sometimes require their consultants to fund stuff out
of their own pockets, but normally when they get higher up the food
chain - it's common for consultants to have to pay significant amounts
to buy their way into the partnership, for example.

Alternatively, contracts that require new hires to pay back the cost of
their training if they leave within X years are also not totally
unusual.  But requiring them to pay up front is well out of order, and
I've never heard of a reputable company doing it.

Basically, I wouldn't touch that with yours, if you'll pardon the
expression.

doug.

--
6973E2CF print 2C95 66AD 1596 37D2 41FC  609F 76C0 A4EC 6973 E2CF
"Poets have been mysteriously silent on the subject of cheese."