[Gllug] Spanish Yahoo! groups

will will at hellacool.co.uk
Fri Aug 22 18:41:23 UTC 2003

David Damerell wrote:
> On Friday, 22 Aug 2003, will wrote:
>
>>I! suspect that it is someone trying to prove a point (re: subscriber only
>>posts), given the timing, by subscribing the list to spanish yahoo
>>groups.
>

> I wonder if a Spanish speaker on the list could ask Yahoo to provide
> the headers of the subscription request and/or confirmation email.
>
> [If Yahoo groups subscriptions don't need confirmation emails they're
> largely responsible - all mailing lists should in this day and age.]

They may well require confirmation, but then I can see that a challenge-response
list membership confirmation system would still allow a user to subscribe the
gllug list to the yahoo group as the challenge would be delivered to everyone.
Most effective if over 99% of the group cannot read the emails to see what is
happening.  The subscription confirmations may have been right under our noses.

I suspect that getting the headers out of yahoo would be about as easy as
$HERCULEAN_TASK.

Will.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk