[Gllug] Cyclists (off topic)

Rev Simon Rumble simon at rumble.net
Mon Aug 11 17:14:40 UTC 2003

On Mon 11 Aug, Jason Clifford bloviated thus:

> Cyclists increasingly receive special treatment in the form of bike lanes
> (which it is an offence for a car to drive in). As such there is a strong
> arguement that they should be taxed for this.

Pedestrians increasingly receive special treatment in the form of
footpaths (which it is an offence for a car to drive on).  As such
there is a strong argument that they should be taxed for this.

> Licensing may be appropriate too. Previously I didn't think so however the
> attrocious cycling I often see in town - including accidents caused by it
> - lead me to think there is merit in the idea.

So licensing has eliminated all the attrocious car driving around the
place?

The reason for licensing is to enforce a minimum (and by Bob it is
clearly pretty minimal) standard of competence on the most dangerous
road users.  Comparitively few accidents are caused by pedestrians and
cyclists, which is why they aren't licensed.  What's more, any
accidents they do cause don't tend to result in a tonne of metal
impacting against someone.

> People struck by a bike can suffer significant injuries leading to large
> compensation claims.

Indeed, but you've gotta try a hell of a lot harder than a car driver,
hence the compulsory nature of the insurance, registration and
licensing.

> If you don't have insurance you may end up selling your bike and lots of
> other possessions to pay the claim.

I have insurance.  It's not expensive and it covers my bike for theft
too, which is far more likely.

--
Rev Simon Rumble <simon at rumble.net>
www.rumble.net

Only one person ever attended a parliament with
honest intentions - and that was Guy Fawkes.