[Gllug] Re: (OT) Sparcs Was: SGI Machines

Paul Lee plee at weycrest.net
Tue Aug 19 08:00:15 UTC 2003

John Edwards wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 18, 2003 at 11:55:44PM +0100, Mark Hazell wrote:
>
>>On Mon, 18 Aug 2003 21:06:40 +0100 Xander typed:
>
> <snip>
>

>>OT :) but I was looking at buying a Sun machine from this guy a while
>>ago, and couldn't make up my mind which one to go for, for most bang for
>>the buck.
>>
>>Which did you get, and for what purposes, if you don't mind me asking?
>>Also, are they loud things, or pretty silent in use?

If people are interested in (vintage) computers Sparcs I have about 6 here:

2 x Sparc5
1 x Sparc 10
2 x Sparc 1
1 x X-Terminal

Was thinking of putting them on Ebay and hope for £10-15 a piece, though
the X-terminal
would be free as its a bit limited.

Most of the Sparc 5's have RedHat /Debian installed and until recently.
in the days when I had ADSL, one was hosting a small website.

Unfortuneatly no spare keyboards/mice.

Also a pile of Sparc IPX's which I was thinking of of putting a Mini-ATX
boards in.

Also I have an ancient  HP 9144 (circa late 80's ) in a mini-rack for
the vintage Unix computer enthusiast. Runs an ancient version of HP-UX
and is complete with a Sony 19" monitor.

Really ought to go to a museum as it has runs X (8MB RAM) and has some
interesting CAD software installed, and has all the documentation and
original invoices.

Also an "as new" boxed Sun Java Workstation

Paul
<e>paul at weycrest.net

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk