[Gllug] gcc

Andrew Halliwell ah at gnd.com
Fri Aug 1 11:59:22 UTC 2003

And verily, didst Doug Winter announce to the hordes:
> On Fri 01 Aug Peter Childs wrote:
> > Ok I've just switched -O on in gcc to compile. and my program has
> > stopped working. I was trying to speed it up:) but now it does not
> > work at all.=20
>
> You've got a bug, probably a pointer handling problem.  Sometimes these
> only manifest themselves after the optimiser has run.

Try compiling it with the -g switch and then running the program in gdb.
That should tell you the exact LINE it's failing on.

The only time gdb fails is when your program fails with a segfault due to a
null pointer reference. (cos I think pointers are never null when gdb
handles them, or something).

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk