[Gllug] Cyclists (off topic)

Jack Bertram jack at jbertram.net
Mon Aug 11 16:59:39 UTC 2003

* SteveC <steve at fractalus.com> [030811 17:55]:
> * Kristian Davies (kristian at ELIXIR-STUDIOS.CO.UK) wrote:
> > p.s. one thing that really get my goat is when im waiting at traffic lights
> > because they are red, and 4 people on bikes go straight through... Whats
> > worse is that it only takes me 20 secs to catch up... So whats the
> > point...tsk tsk as bad as drivers...
>
> the point is that the cyclist loses all their momentum. you just press
> the accelerate pedal, the cyclist has to put in actual *effort*. With
> all the stopping and starting in london, this is quite frustrating.
>
> Also, its quite rare that a cyclist will go straight through - more
> likely they will slow down a bit to get a good look at the junction.
> They arn't usually suicidal :-)

But they're breaking the law.  Drivers aren't allowed to go straight
through (even at deserted pedestrian crossings) despite the saving
in time, petrol, and wear and tear.

Cyclists cause accidents by doing this.  I've been hit as a pedestrian
by a cyclist who came through a red light and had to swerve to avoid
a legitimate vehicle, mounted the pavement and ran me over.

I cycle frequently to work (using it as exercise) which is a 30 min
journey from south of the river to the West End.  I use red traffic
lights as extra exercise (firstly from the extra accel/decel, secondly
to catch all the lawbreaking idiots who go through the red lights when
I'm stopped).

jack

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk