[Gllug] XML & XSL problems (formerly off topic)

Tethys tet at createservices.com
Tue Aug 12 08:26:03 UTC 2003

Ian Norton writes:

> 'do you dislike people from different cultures?' or
> 'do you spit at homeless people?' and
> 'do you say "stuff africa, they can starve"?'

Well I know it was said in jest, but I'm boggling at how you can make
a connection between these and a right to own a car...

Dragging things vaguely back on topic... I have an application that
spits out logs in xml format. There is an accompanying xsl file. In
theory, Mozilla should be able to view xml/xsl directly. However,
in practice, it just says:

	This XML file does not appear to have any style information
	associated with it. The document tree is shown below.

Armed with some information gleaned from Peter Ryland's talk at the
UKUUG conference, I tried to manually convert it to HTML, but with
little success:

	mammoth:~% xsltproc --verbose --debug log.xsl log20030806_091815.xml
	Added namespace: xsl mapped to http://www.w3.org/TR/WD-xsl
	xsltPrecomputeStylesheet: removing ignorable blank node
	compilation error: file log.xsl line 2 element stylesheet
	xsltParseStylesheetProcess : document is not a stylesheet

Any ideas? I've attached the log.xsl file in the hopes that it
means something to someone :-) I freely admit I'm blundering around
in the dark here. It's a subject that I know very little about. The
application itself can produce HTML logs as well as the raw XML, but
only by going into it, clicking a few buttons and requesting it to
send the formatted logs via email. For a start, that's a very clumsy
and time consuming process, and secondly, when the application is
down, you need to be able to just look at the logs on disk...

TIA

Tet