[Gllug] Next geeky purchase

Richard Jones rich at annexia.org
Sun Aug 3 11:21:03 UTC 2003

On Sun, Aug 03, 2003 at 12:04:34PM +0100, Xander D Harkness wrote:
> Richard Jones wrote:
>
> >Does anyone have one of these?
> >
> >http://www.slimdevices.com/
> >
> I know it is called slimp3; however only doing mp3 and not off is a
> major drawback for me.
>
> I had a look at the thing a few months back and it does not look like
> they will add any other formats.

Although not documented, it does appear from the source that it now
supports ogg. At least, it's calling ogg123 and ogginfo. The device
itself isn't responsible for decoding anyway - that's done on the
"server" (ie. PC) and uncompressed sound is shunted over the network.

It's a bit of a shame that although the server software is GPLed, the
firmware software which runs on the device is under a quite
restrictive non-free license (although you can still see the source,
modify it and make patches).

Rich.

--
Richard Jones. http://www.annexia.org/ http://freshmeat.net/users/rwmj