[Gllug] Exchange -> IMAP

Simon Morris smorris at batesuk.com
Mon Aug 18 15:48:55 UTC 2003

On Mon, 2003-08-18 at 16:42, Tethys wrote:
> Anyone have experience of migrating users from Exchange to a Unix based
> IMAP solution? In particular, how do you go about migrating existing
> mailboxes out of Exchange and into the IMAP server (we haven't decided
> which one yet, but Sendmail is looking like a frontrunner at the moment)?
> Can exchange export mailboxes in a sane format? Failing that, can any of
> the Unix IMAP servers import PST files?

You could use the mail client to migrate email. Set up a mail client
using the Exchange IMAP service, and connect to your new server also
using IMAP.

You could then drag and drop mail from server to server.

To be picky sendmail isn't an IMAP server.... you would need something
like Courier, Cyrus or UW-IMAP on your new system.

That method isn't very pretty or automated but depending on how many
users you have it could be handy.

--
Simon Morris
smorris at batesuk.com