[Gllug] OT: Email forwarding

Gordon Joly gordon.joly at pobox.com
Sat Aug 30 08:21:47 UTC 2003

At 14:24 +0100 2003/08/28, Xander D Harkness wrote:

>It can be a lot of work if you want to be *really* picky :-)
>
>I would grab the exim rpms from exim.org grab the latest spamassassin rpms and play away (or exim comes as standard on debian).
>
>I know a couple of companies that happily host on btconnect, the only downside / upside is that it is blacklisted by AOL.

After many years of not running an MTA at home (exim, sendmail, fetchmail etc) I starting to think about it, since spam was such an issue (and was following Xander's thinking). Up till then I had decided to let the Good Ole ISP manage things (I have both POP3 and IMAP accounts, and my Demon domain has two mailboxes for the two of us at home).

It peeves me (and y'all no doubt:-) that I have to take on extra work as a result of the actions of others (in the case the spam merchants).

Another issue was security of my home machine. You must have an fixed address and be a little more visible (MX records, and in the headers lying around in other people mailboxes) and that was also an issue.

These days I do not run a webserver at home that is visible outside my local LAN. It used to be amusing to see a virus logged in Apache... but the novelty has worn off.... and I runs "Shields Up" to confirm that all my ports are in "stealth mode" (they now test all TCP ports up 1056 - very nice:-).

I just checked - port 53 is open. Oh dear...

Gordo (at home on 192.168.323.451)

--
Linux User No. 256022///
http://pobox.com/~gordo/