[Gllug] Cyclists (off topic)

Jason Clifford jason at ukpost.com
Mon Aug 11 21:04:41 UTC 2003

On Mon, 11 Aug 2003, David Damerell wrote:

> >>Comparitively few accidents are caused by pedestrians and
> >>cyclists, which is why they aren't licensed.  What's more, any
> >>accidents they do cause don't tend to result in a tonne of metal
> >>impacting against someone.
> >Are there any reliable stats?
>
> Yes; the Government publishes statistics for all collisions resulting
> in deaths or serious injuries - reporting of which is clearly
> near-universal regardless of how they are inflicted, because someone
> seriously injured will attend a hospital.

Yet a great many legitimate compensation claims will never be so reported.

> Furthermore I think it is futile to deny that 200 pounds of bicycle
> and rider travelling at perhaps 15 or 20mph is enormously less
> dangerous than two tonnes of motor car travelling at 70mph (assuming
> for one moment that the driver is one of the small proportion who obey
> the law).

So? Really what relevance has that to the fact that 200 pounds of bicycle
and rider can cause serious harm if it strikes someone else?

Nobody here is denying that a collision with a car, van, truck or bus is
likely to cause more damage however that's not issue when discussing
whether cyclists should be required to demonstrate a minimum level of
competence and hold adequate third party insurance before going on the
road.

> >Lots of cyclists rely upon their contents insurance for theft cover. There
> >is no third party cover in that.
>
> Don't be too sure of that. Contents insurance almost always needs to
> be explicitly extended for cover against theft of bicycles outside the
> home, and that extension often covers third-party liability.

Not all policies are alike.

> Remember also that any member of the Cyclists' Touring Club has
> third-party insurance by virtue of that membership.

How many people on London's roads are members of this club? What's the
proportion?

What is in place for the others - ie those who are not hardcore cyclists?

Jason Clifford
http://www.ukfsn.org/		ADSL Broadband available now

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk