[Gllug] tunnelling through the web...

Jason Clifford jason at ukpost.com
Thu Aug 14 14:15:09 UTC 2003

On Thu, 14 Aug 2003, .new2unix wrote:

> I often find myself behind rather restrictive firewalls.
> Most only allow http[s] outbound.
>
> Is it possible to have two ssh daemons running on the same box but listening on
> different ports?

Yes.

> I presently have ssh listening on default 22.
> I'd like to start another to listen on port 80
>
> Is this a wise move?
> what are the alternatives?
> what should i look out for?

You need to consider what type of firewall you are trying to tunnel
through as if it is an application proxy it is likely (almost certain)
that the proxy will timeout connections after a given number of seconds.

If the firewall is a simple packet filter you'll be OK.

Have a look on freshmeat.net where there are tunnelling systems designed
for use over http.

Jason Clifford
http://www.ukfsn.org/		ADSL Broadband available now

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk