[Gllug] Junk Mail via GLLUG

Formi formi at blueyonder.co.uk
Thu Aug 21 14:49:03 UTC 2003

On Thu, 21 Aug 2003, Rev Simon Rumble wrote:

> On Thu 21 Aug, Martin A. Brooks bloviated thus:
>
> > They aren't subscribing. I've been in favour of making this list
> > subscriber-post-only for quite some time, and shouted down by virtually
> > everyone else :)
>
> The problem is that someone has to go through the (many) exceptions.
> Personally I'd be in favour of placing anything from a non-subscriber
> and Spamassassin >3 in a queue.  How's that for a compromise?
>
> Now someone to volunteer to filter the exceptions.

 I would approve that, something that worries me is that on the online
 archives the email addresses of the senders appear as:

 x at xxx xx

 wich is very easy for the mail crawlers to revert back to the original
 form.

 I know there are things such as spamassasin and the likes, but if your
 email address gets picked up by the spammers and you are sent spam,
 bandwith and resources are being used even if you never see the spam.

 I used to have dial-up with by, but I transferred the phone-line to a
 house mate, I still can access the email account which gets about 20-50
 spam emails a day. Does anybody know for how long will I be able to
 access it? It's been 3 months and it still works.

 Formi.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk