[Gllug] Contract Rates for Linux Admin Work

Xander D Harkness xander at harkness.co.uk
Mon Aug 18 12:07:25 UTC 2003

On Mon, 2003-08-18 at 12:25, Richard Jones wrote:
> I'm guessing by the nature of the work that Jason Clifford probably
> doesn't work with other contractors in his job.
>
> What do people do, however, if you have to deal with other contractors
> on the same job, and they are bone-headed idiots? (To the point where
> it makes it impossible to perform your own job). Do you take the money
> and shut up? Do you raise concerns?

I worked for a large ISP.  In a different department one of the
contractors had set up a load of root accounts with no passwords.  They
were using Solaris 8, telnet is the default and securetty was set so
that root could log in over telnet.

There were no updates applied to the default installs and most of the
contractor's day was spent reading the web to check on what was
happening in Neighbours.

These boxes were running our billing and personnel systems.

I did speak to the contractor who really did not care and spoke to our
mutual boss (also a contractor).  Nothing came of it and the systems
remained for a year, until they ran out of cash removed both my boss and
the other contractor then put me in charge of all the systems.

I think that I did 'the right thing', I was employed to maintain and
safeguard the companies systems and I had offered the contractor help
first.

Kind regards
Xander

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk