[Gllug] Cyclists (off topic)

Jason Clifford jason at ukpost.com
Mon Aug 11 17:34:55 UTC 2003

On Mon, 11 Aug 2003, David Damerell wrote:

> >Cyclists increasingly receive special treatment in the form of bike lanes
> >(which it is an offence for a car to drive in). As such there is a strong
> >arguement that they should be taxed for this.
>
> Vehicle Excise Duty is not hypothecated.

That's as may be however it is a condition for having a vehicle on a
public highway.

Traditionally cyclists have been able to argue that they do not cause any
particular cost by being on the highway. That is not true now - not that
is was before.

I am still against the idea myself as I believe it would be not be
practicle.

Jason Clifford
--
UKPOST.COM	 	           get your @ukpost.com address now...