[Gllug] Re: (OT) Sparcs Was: SGI Machines

Ian Northeast ian at house-from-hell.demon.co.uk
Thu Aug 21 18:57:55 UTC 2003

Tethys wrote:

> Jon Masters writes:
>
> >A reasonable machine for fun. The MBUS allows two HyperSPARC or whatever
> >to be added but remember that Solaris is only "free" for single CPU.
>
> Huh? Since when? Last time I looked, it was free for 1-4 CPUs. When
> did it change?

When Solaris 9 came out IIRC. However, there is no physical restriction,
the download version works fine on a multiprocessor. It's technically
illegal but I doubt if Sun particularly care that a hobbyist is running
it on an MP SS20.

I think it's a bit off myself. I can't legally run it on my Ultra2 but
my mate can on his Blade 100 which is a lot more powerful.

Regards, Ian

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk