[Gllug] [OT] OpenCourseWare

Axel Segebrecht axel at segebrecht.com
Wed Aug 27 08:57:09 UTC 2003

Sorry for posting yet another OT to this list but I felt this is quite
interesting:

MIT has started offering OpenCourseWare which basically offers MIT
courses for free to anyone, anywhere using the 3W.

MIT doesn't offer degrees but high quality information and educational
material.

Maybe this can help our ailing UK education system?

No suprise then some people already thought of opening their own
university based on the MIT resource. MIT's stern reply comes as no
suprise either:

"People are free to use, modify, translate, and distribute
OpenCourseWare as long as they don't try to make a buck from it."

Sounds to me like they should release it under the GPL! ;D

I think this is a great service to humanity and probably the best thing
to come out of the US of A for a long time. Finally I can catch up with
stuff I was never able to do / lazy to do.

The only thing missing from it is the Zephyr IM system but I'm sure that
sooner or later people will create some kind of OpenCourse Support Group
online where people can work on courses together and exchange
information... Information wants to be free... ;)

You can find out more here:
http://ocw.mit.edu/

Peace,

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk