[Gllug] Plug for Ogg Vorbis and OSS on BBC Click Online

Richard Turner richard at rj-turner.freeserve.co.uk
Sun Aug 31 12:11:53 UTC 2003

On Sat, 2003-08-30 at 21:02, Chris Bell wrote:
> Hello,
>    There was a nice (but small) plug for Ogg Vorbis and OSS in an item about
> DVD players on BBC Click Online tonight, repeated BBC News 24 at 1630 Sunday
> 31st August

Richard Stallman did a presentation for the Computer Science department
at Aberystwyth Uni once.  I'd already left by then, but asked one of the
lecturers for a transcript.  Instead he gave me a link to the Ogg files
created by BBC Cymru and hosted on their site.

The BBC seems to have a slightly disjointed but encouraging support for
OSS - I was really impressed to see that they'd decided to publish the
lectures as Ogg files instead of their customary Real Audio.  It's a
shame that most of their site uses Real and Windows Media instead of
more open standards.  I was using Windows when I downloaded those Oggs -
there was a link on the same page to the appropriate plug-in for Media
Player, so it's not as if using Free, open standards excludes those
people who use Windows, MacOS, etc...

--
"Racing turtles, the grapefruit is winning..."