[Gllug] Graduates paying for IT training before employment

David Damerell damerell at chiark.greenend.org.uk
Sun Aug 24 15:38:10 UTC 2003

On Sunday, 24 Aug 2003, Alasdair G Kergon wrote:
>They put out a request for IT consultants (some of whom might be
>trainees) who were graduates. Now, considering that X has just got
>out of Uni with a degree in sport science, he's not exactly
>able to hit the ground running.

Suspicion number one; given the number of unemployed and often
desperate people with experience, tech degrees, and/or the
qualifications they desire, why would they want to start with someone
with a completely non-technical degree (in "sport science", no less)?

>What ICS have said to X is that they will train him for 6 months (so
>there may be more courses in addition to the ones I mentioned, and a 3
>month placement is included in this period) and then guarantee him a job
>afterwards at 24K.
>We now see that the training is OK but expensive.  However, I am trying
>to get a feel for how unusual it is for a company to ask for someone to
>pay for their training up front and then employ them afterwards,
>provided they have succeeded in the training.

I've never heard of such a thing. I think X shouldn't touch this with
a bargepole; if X _does_, he should at a minimum ensure he has a
written contract up front - and spend some money having a lawyer check
it out.

Also, a brief DejaGoogle suggests their training is no good - and if
he doesn't pass the exam, he doesn't get the job.

--
David Damerell <damerell at chiark.greenend.org.uk> Kill the tomato!

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk