[Gllug] Crashes (owing to the heatwave?)

Ian Northeast ian at house-from-hell.demon.co.uk
Fri Aug 8 21:58:46 UTC 2003

Apologies for sending this reply again.

When I sent it originally I failed to notice that David had specified
his own address as well as the list in his Reply-To. However, this has
proved useful as it showed up an error in my exim config (I was sending
my invalid internal name not my Demon one on the "HELO"). The mail to
David bounced. Evidently he has a rather strict SMTP server as I've been
using this for over a week and it's the first one.

I think I've fixed this now so I'm sending this again to make sure.

David, you would be doing me a great favour if you would confirm that
you received this directly from me as well as from the list.

All I can say in my defence is that I only just switched my mail server
from Red Hat/sendmail to Debian/exim and havn't had a chance to get a
lot of experience with exim yet. And the switch happened a little before
I'd planned because the creeping hardware failure on the old RH box
suddenly got up on its hind legs and ran:) It went from crashing every
couple of months to unable to boot even from a floppy overnight. I
suppose I should have expected this really, I knew the hardware was
dying.

David Damerell wrote:

> (Telia have c, 6,000 Linux installs on one S/390)

But that I think uses VM as well as LPAR partitioning. VM is also
extremely efficient as the S/390 hardware has been designed to support
it for many years.

Regards, Ian

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk