[Gllug] Cyclists (off topic)

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Thu Aug 14 07:51:35 UTC 2003

On Thu 14 Aug, Christopher Hunter wrote:

> >The lights are not even guaranteed to be
> > correct, I have seen some change at random on more than one occasion (and
> > that does not include the lights at the Isle of Dogs roundabout),
>
> No they don't.  The software error checking in a traffic signal controller is
> very effective!

   You may be correct for newer sets. I spent many years working and
travelling around the country, and they were not all new. Some have never
even been knocked over. Some have been hilarious to watch as the sequence
repeatedly stops and re-starts in semi-random order, with traffic in all
directions stopping and starting in an attempt to comply.

> > and they
> > often latch in one or more directions while other directions continue to
> > work.
>
> They can't.  There's a hardware error checking circuit (included by law)
> called a "green conflict monitor".  The signals will switch off instantly -
> faster than the lamps can heat up!

   There is a set on the Uxbridge Road between the canal end of the Southall
Broadway and the Hayes Bypass which regularly sticks, straight ahead
westbound only, on red, and has done for some time, causing delays to
traffic leaving the Southall area. Even the (empty) turning lane westbound
to northbound continues to work normally. I do not think this has anything
to do with the set about a mile away on the eastern end of the broadway
which stays on red westbound only so as to prevent traffic from entering the
area, there is a bypass lane for buses and a large signpost alongside which
warns about those delays.

--
Chris Bell

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk