[Gllug] [mildly OT] minimal adsl routers?

Nix nix at esperi.demon.co.uk
Tue Aug 12 14:45:20 UTC 2003

[Posted here because this seems to me to be something that Linux people
would be likely to want, and likely to know about, and also because I
can't practically post to the Usenet from where I am right now]

Sometime soon, I'll be looking for ADSL at last.

>From what I've heard, an Ethernet ADSL {modem,router,bridge} is by far
the sanest choice; it works, doesn't require any kind of driver, and
doesn't require any bizarre interfaces on the machine.

But the only ADSL ethernet devices I've come across so far (all
admittedly cheapo ones bought by and for others) are these hulking great
feature-ridden monstrosities that provide primitive NAT, equally
primitive firewalling and so on, and normally don't provide a way of
turning the NAT and firewalling *off*.

I'd ideally like to find one that handles the horrid non-IP
authentication and PPPoA stuff for you, but otherwise stays out of the
way, forwarding Ethernet packets back and forth; to the Internet at
large, the subnet behind this device is fully visible, with no NAT or
similar cruft involved. In my limited understanding such a thing is
called an ASDL bridge, but I've not been able to find many of those.

The closest I've found so far is the Thomson SpeedTouch 510 v4, which
has a `DHCP spoofing' option which looks like it might do what I'm
looking for. But it means I have to fire off DHCP requests, which
strikes me as total bloody overkill, given that I'll be getting static
IP on the ADSL link so my externally visible IP address will be
unchanging.

This can't be a terribly unusual set of requirements, so I guess I'm
missing something obvious. Anyone got any suggestions?

--
`That sound you hear is configure wailing, "MY PRECIOUSSSSSSSS!" as it
 overwrites Multilib with Primary.' --- Phil Edwards

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk