[Gllug] Linux involved with Beagle 2 project

Richard Jones rich at annexia.org
Fri Dec 19 10:09:58 UTC 2003

Someone who works at ESA posted:

> > What OS does it use then?

> A proprietry setup written by the contractor - it is CPU is an 8-bit
> radiation hardened SPARC !

Not sure what that means.  The SPARC architecture is 32 bits
(minimum), so I don't know if this refers to the external data bus, or
to some sort of bastardized SPARC.  It's also not clear why writing an
OS and using an 8 bit chip would be useful.  The Mars Pathfinder used
a 20 MHz i386, 128 MB of ordinary DRAM and VxWorks, source of that
infamous bug where the OS kept rebooting itself.

Rich.

--
Richard Jones. http://www.annexia.org/ http://freshmeat.net/users/rwmj
If I have not seen as far as others, it is because I have been
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk