[Gllug] [Fwd: Server]

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Fri Dec 5 09:53:26 UTC 2003

On Mon, 01 Dec 2003, Martin A. Brooks said:
> On Mon, 2003-12-01 at 09:55, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
>> Reiserfs is like a car without brakes, side impact bars, or an airbag.
>
> One that's made of chocolate, too.
>
> Resier3 is a joke

I dunno. I trust it for news spools and wwwoffle caches. For anything
else, well, I concur with others: there's something slightly unpleasant
about Hans's motives (e.g. the huge-screens-of-credit stuff in
mkreiserfs) and the reiserfs developers just don't display the kind of
utter paranoia I expect fs developers to show. (e.g. they didn't
understand that using hashes that were immune to non-malicious
collisions to position files wasn't enough, and tried to argue that
immunity to malicious attack with intent to DoS the box and/or lose data
wasn't an important property).

It was in the aftermath of the latter that I decided not to use reiserfs
for anything but (reconstructible) spools. (My long-term archives of
various groups are not on reiserfs, because I value them. :) )

--
`I have some desires that would probably consume the entire lifetime
 power output of one G-type star.' --- Mark Atwood

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk