[Gllug] re: ethernet problems

t.clarke tim at seacon.co.uk
Tue Dec 9 19:05:32 UTC 2003

If you are using a hub rather than a switch, replacing it with a cheap switch
may solve your problems, at least as far as collisions are concerned.

You could try physically disconnecting everything from the hub except the
Linux box and one PC,  and then pushing some heavy-duty traffic between them;
noting the before and after statistics.   If the stats look OK, then the
problem may well simply be collisions.  If they are not, I would guess the
problem lies with hardware; either the hub or the ethernet cards.
You can check out the cards, possibly, by connecting a PC directly to the
Linux box using a crossover cable and repeating the tests.   If all goes well
the likely culprint is the hub; else one of the ethernet cards.

All down to a process of elimination, I think !

Tim

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk