[Gllug] error kernel compile

Richard Jones rich at annexia.org
Tue Dec 2 20:12:04 UTC 2003

On Tue, Dec 02, 2003 at 01:44:02PM +0000, itsbruce at uklinux.net wrote:
> 1.  zImages load into low memory (the first 640k) while bzImages load
> into high memory (above the 1M point).  Some older PCs will only boot a
> zImage and there may be some arcane reasone why you might use it on a
> more recent model.

This is correct of course. But to clarify, the *compressed* images get
loaded to different places. But after decompression, the kernel is
always located at the 1 MB (physical) mark. On i386 anyway.

As to what happens to the first 640K, I would assume it gets used just
like any other paged memory. In fact I'd be annoyed if it didn't :-) I
hope someone else can give us the right answer to that question.

Rich.

--
Richard Jones. http://www.annexia.org/ http://freshmeat.net/users/rwmj
Perl4Caml lets you use any Perl library in your type-safe Objective

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk