[Gllug] mp3 encoding from Real Player output

Pete Ryland pdr at accucard.com
Wed Dec 31 14:38:57 UTC 2003

On Wed, Dec 31, 2003 at 01:59:40PM +0000, Xander D Harkness wrote:
> Pete Ryland wrote:
> >Anyway, as I have a dvb card (digital radio/tv reciever), if you tell me
> >what station, I can record it for you if you'd like.
> >
> I have an Hauppage DVB card, I have not got round to having a look at it
> yet.  I would be interested to know what software you use with it.
>
> I currently have a normal TV card which works extremely well with
> zapping - it does not do dvb...

Mine is a "Budget/Nova" card, meaning I get a raw MPEG stream rather than
just an analogue output on the card.  It requires a kernel module to be
loaded, then I use dvbstream piped to netcat and then at the other end,
netcat piped to mplayer.  Works quite well, except that the streams are too
much bandy for 802.11b, so I need to use the wired network.  I'll probably
at some stage patch dvbstream to allow tuning to a different station without
breaking the stream, and do efficient rescaling to use less bandwidth
without breaking my CPU.

Pete
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk