[Gllug] OT: Copyright and Snow Balls

andy at mac1systems.com andy at mac1systems.com
Mon Dec 1 12:16:09 UTC 2003

>> I'm sorry, but when was it that copyright started applying to ideas,
>> rather than the literal printed word?

Having seen the advert and the original image it is almost exactly the same.

Both feature a large (1 metre) snowball.  The orignal had bits of natural
wood sticking out.  The copy had Habitat furniture sticking out.  If you
knew the original artwork then you would definately had recognised it and
assumed the artist was involved.

I think the "artist" was more upset that people would think he was
associated with Habitat than the copying thing.

So it wasn't the "idea" so much that was copyrighted it was the image.
If it was a song and Habitat had changed some of the words then I guess the
musician would have been rightly paid?

Andy

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk