[Gllug] Controversial Joel Spolsky article

Bernard Peek bap at shrdlu.com
Sat Dec 20 22:14:14 UTC 2003

In message <20031220172217.GA12987 at phaistos.bruce>, Bruce Richardson
<itsbruce at uklinux.net> writes

>For the most part, the PC industry grew up in isolation from what had
>gone before.  The lessons that had been learned on mainframes and
>minicomputers weren't passed on to the microcomputer people, partly
>because those working on the former had no interest in microcomputers
>(or held them in contempt).  This means that a whole new industry grew
>up largely in ignorance and with no correctives to its bad practices.
>By the time microcomputers became complex enough to run decent operating
>systems, these poor practices had effectively become industry standards.

In part the PC industry was created specifically to avoid some of the
practises that were common in the mainframe and minicomputer world.
Departments bought PCs without telling the central IT department. That
was only possible because PCs didn't need a sysadmin. The story of the
PC is a struggle to escape from control by central IT. Now of course
Microsoft is trying to move everything back by running applications on
huge central server farms.

>Many of the poor practices and design decisions of companies like
>Microsoft - binary configuration files,

There are some exceptions but most Windows programs used editable text
configuration files until relatively recently. The decision to move away
from text configuration files is a fairly recent innovation. It's a
deliberate decision, not an accident. Given that most Windows users
shouldn't try to manually edit configuration files I don't see much
wrong with it.

> poor modularity etc - are part
>due to this small-computer, cottage-industry heritage.  But it also
>means there's a whole self-contained IT society which operates in
>unknowing ignorance, lacking the breadth of knowledge to recognise these
>faults.
>
>Most Linux admins started from within this blinkered society but had the
>curiousity to look beyond its limits.  They discovered and embraced the
>good practices and disciplines that the Unix world offered.  Otoh, all
>too many Windows admins are unjustifiably complacent and unaware,
>ignorant even of the limited capabilities of the opaque OS they rely on.
>It can be very depressing to have to work alongside such people and it
>is difficult to overstate their lack of curiosity and ignorance of basic
>computing principles and mechanisms.

That's another aspect of what Joel was talking about. Windows systems
are optimised to work without the need for a sysadmin. Linux on the
desktop is moving in that direction.

>  As a rule, such people are
>actively suspicious of automation and the many productivity-enhancements
>that a skilled admin can make to computer systems.  They will choose the
>interactive, drag-and-drop solution over the automated solution because
>they trust what they can see (even though what they see is just an
>animated representation of an action).

It's called abstraction. One of the main aims of modern software
development is to hide all of the gory details.

--
Bernard Peek

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk