[Gllug] iChat AV client for Linux?

John Hearns john.hearns at clustervision.com
Mon Dec 1 12:23:50 UTC 2003

On Mon, 1 Dec 2003, Richard Jones wrote:

> The Mac comes with some software called "iChat AV", which looks like
> it should be just the ticket, but unfortunately it's not obvious what
> format this uses. My experiments trying to make it talk to a
> GnomeMeeting client were inconclusive, although I can't rule out the
> array of NAT'd firewalls between the two machines as a possibility.
>
> Is there an iChat AV client for Linux?

> Is there something else I should be using? I've heard about SIP, but
> not had much luck finding SIP clients for Linux and Mac OS X.

Gnomemeeting and Netmeeting are H323 applications.
A quick Google came up with a tip that you have to use one
of the menus in iChat to revert to version 1
http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/16887&page=7

You'll need to Google for how to set your firewall up for
Netmeeting (I'd guess the others then wil work).

Quick Google found:
    * Pass through primary TCP connections on ports 522, 389, 1503, 1720
and 1731.
    * Pass through secondary UDP connections on dynamically assigned ports
(1024-65535).

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk