[Gllug] High resolution flat screens

Mike Brodbelt mike at coruscant.demon.co.uk
Mon Dec 8 19:24:43 UTC 2003

On Mon, 2003-12-08 at 17:47, Tethys wrote:
> I'm looking for a flat screen, like the subject says. Essentially, this
> is for a display screen that we can stick on the wall and show status
> from our monitoring systems, etc. I was somewhat stunned to find that
> all the large screens have crappy resolutions. Does anyone know of any
> that don't?
>
> The best I've found so far is the Samsung SM241MP TFT screen, which
> will go up to 1920x1200. But it's only 24". The SM403T, in the same
> range is 40", but only goes up to 1280x768. WTF?

Iiyama do the AQU5611DTBK, which does 3840x2400, which is 4 times the
Samsung you mention. It's only 22.2" though.

> For plasma screens, it's even worse. The 42" PPM4253 is 852x480, and
> the 50" PPM50H3 and the 63" PPM63H3 are both only 1366x768. Is there
> some reason that these screens a so low res compared to a decent CRT,
> or even to a modern laptop? It's not just Samsung, BTW, it's other
> makes as well.

Yep - it's just market. Most people who want a big screen are going to
use it for presentations or something, and just want the same res that
they used to create their PowerPoint slides. The 852x480 42" plasma is
widescreen NTSC resolution, so obviously they think all you'll use it
for is TV/Video playback.

For high-res stuff, your best bet is to look for panels aimed at CAD
users. For physically large and high res, I think there are very few (if
any) options :-(.

Mike.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk