[Gllug] Controversial Joel Spolsky article

Tushar Joshi tjoshi at lonix.org.uk
Tue Dec 16 00:07:24 UTC 2003

I didn't think there was really anything wrong with the article.
I thought it was close to the truth, most unix apps including kde/gnome
aren't that easy to use. But since I'm now a mac user I can say that now
I've used a real user interface :) Well he did work for Microsoft!

Tushar

On Mon, Dec 15, 2003 at 10:32:16PM +0000, Christopher Hunter wrote:
> On Monday 15 Dec 2003 8:19 pm, Richard Jones wrote:
> > http://www.joelonsoftware.com/articles/Biculturalism.html
> >
> > He's a Windows fanboy, so you have to excuse him. Most of the stuff he
> > writes is insightful.
>
> Sorry Rich, but most of the article is drivel!  "Auntie Madge expects output
> from her programs" (to paraphrase) - what she mostly expects to see (in the
> Windoze world) is useless error messages and blue screens!
>
> He's slightly right in so much as we often write code that's only
> comprehensible to others like us - that's usually no bad thing, as I wouldn't
> want his "Auntie Madge" let loose with a partitioning tool or even trying to
> do backups!
>
> You're right - he's M$-centric.  You may well find that his column is financed
> by the folks from Redmond.  It's often difficult to find unbiased journalism
> in the world of computing......
>
> Chris
>
> --

|                 Turtle Networks Ltd.                 |
|  Unit 48, Concord Road, London W3 0TH                |
|  Tel: (020) 8992 7008     |  Fax: (020) 8992 7017    |
|  www.turtle.net           |  tjoshi at turtle.net       |
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk