[Gllug] Controversial Joel Spolsky article

Christopher Hunter chrisehunter at blueyonder.co.uk
Mon Dec 15 22:32:16 UTC 2003

On Monday 15 Dec 2003 8:19 pm, Richard Jones wrote:
> http://www.joelonsoftware.com/articles/Biculturalism.html
>
> He's a Windows fanboy, so you have to excuse him. Most of the stuff he
> writes is insightful.

Sorry Rich, but most of the article is drivel!  "Auntie Madge expects output
from her programs" (to paraphrase) - what she mostly expects to see (in the
Windoze world) is useless error messages and blue screens!

He's slightly right in so much as we often write code that's only
comprehensible to others like us - that's usually no bad thing, as I wouldn't
want his "Auntie Madge" let loose with a partitioning tool or even trying to
do backups!

You're right - he's M$-centric.  You may well find that his column is financed
by the folks from Redmond.  It's often difficult to find unbiased journalism
in the world of computing......

Chris

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk