[Gllug] mplayer - compressing video clips for windows

Sean Burlington sean at uncertainty.org.uk
Wed Dec 31 13:17:14 UTC 2003

Hi all,
	for christmas I got a fairly funky digital camera - it not only takes
good picture but nice video too :)

As a result I have a funny video clip of new baby apparently dancing to
music (his parents even think his timing is good!) - but it's a 5Mb file
and only about 20 seconds long (quicktime)

I'd like to put this on the web for friends and family to lagh at but to
do so I need to compress and or reduce the framerate/image size

I can happliy  do this but the resulting files only seem to work on
Linux players :(

I could do with some tips on this as all the docs I can find seem to
refer to people ripping DVD's for thier own use which I very different
from what I want.

the best results I have so far is

mencoder dscn0250.mov -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4 -vop
scale=160:120 -ofps 5 -oac pcm  -of avi -o output.avi
4.4M dscn0250.mov
917K output.avi

(This file won't play in M$ windows media player)

One problem is that I can't get mplayer to recognise lamemp3 which I
have installed in /usr/local

Checking for libmp3lame (for mencoder) ... no

/usr/local/bin/lame
/usr/local/lib/libmp3lame.so.0.0.0
/usr/local/lib/libmp3lame.so.0
/usr/local/lib/libmp3lame.so
/usr/local/lib/libmp3lame.la
/usr/local/lib/libmp3lame.a
/usr/local/include/lame
/usr/local/include/lame/lame.h
/usr/local/include/lame.h (I copied this here)

--

Sean

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk