[Gllug] Debian servers compromised

Simon A. Boggis simon at dcs.qmul.ac.uk
Wed Dec 3 01:58:17 UTC 2003

On Tue, 2003-11-25 at 22:37, Nix wrote:
> On Sun, 23 Nov 2003, Chris Bell spake:
> >    There were some updated packages listed as -proposed-updates on some
> > mirrors which I am unable to access at present. It looks like there is a
> > lot of serious checking going on.
>
> See <http://www.wiggy.net/debian/status/>

For those that haven't seen this (and are interested in this sort of
stuff):

"Debian Investigation Report after Server Compromises"
http://lists.debian.org/debian-announce/debian-announce-2003/msg00003.html

More importantly for everyone else, most "vendors"/distros have released
patched kernels since the weekend in the light of the above - the two I
deal with routinely both did so yesterday:

 Debian:
http://lists.netsys.com/pipermail/full-disclosure/2003-December/014366.html
   (don't think the debian mailing lists have this visible in them yet,
due to list-server machines taken down).

 RedHat: https://rhn.redhat.com/errata/RHSA-2003-392.html

If you run a shared login box (or one where someone you don't trust
might get local access) you should patch your kernel or update to a
vendor patched one ASAP.

Simon

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk