[Gllug] More Microsoft patents

Nick Mailer nickm at positive-internet.com
Wed Feb 12 15:26:42 UTC 2003

On Wed, 2003-02-12 at 15:04, rich at annexia.org wrote:

> I don't really want this to degenerate into a language war, and
> I actually agree with most of what you say, except one thing: Perl
> is really not a "write only" language. Copyright law unfortunately
> prevents me from reproducing sections of the schoolmaster.net code-
> base, but suffice to say it was several 100,000s of lines of well
> written, fully documented Perl code written by a team of up to 10
> coders.

Exactly. The cheap soundbite dismissal of Perl was instigated by those
with vested financial interests in belittling it, and is largely spouted
by those sheep who believe a carefully-planted corporate opinion is
their own unique insight.

I have seen plenty of obfuscated, ghastly Java and JSP, and I have seen
plenty of beautifully written, elegant Perl. As with English, what
matters is not the language but those who use it.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk