[Gllug] endian.h

chris.wareham at btopenworld.com chris.wareham at btopenworld.com
Fri Feb 7 14:02:18 UTC 2003

rich at annexia.org wrote:

> FWIW I've just ported a load of code which was written on Linux to
> OpenBSD and Solaris, and I'm constantly surprised by how much Solaris
> (in particular) and OpenBSD lack in their APIs. Really basic stuff
> like Solaris not having 'setenv(3)'. I'm amazed that people actually
> prefer to pay money for this crap. (</solaris-rant>)

Perhaps it's because OpenBSD and Solaris conform to standards, while
Linux and glibc have god knows how many dubious extensions. setenv is
often a wrapper around getenv and putenv anyway, so you're not even
guaranteed the atomicity of setenv when you don't want to overwrite an
existing variable in a threaded application.

Chris

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk