[Gllug] Warning: copy control CD

Rev Simon Rumble simon at rumble.net
Tue Feb 18 13:54:54 UTC 2003

On Tue 18 Feb, Jason Clifford bloviated thus:

> If it is sold as a CD is should be red book compliant - Philips have been
> very clear that such a disc cannot be sold as a CD.

I can't see the CD logo anywhere.  I would imagine it would be sold in
the "CD" section of many stores, however.

> It should also carry a clear and fairly prominent warning that it will not
> play in many common players.

The following text, reasonably small, appears on the back cover:

This disc contains Copy Control technology.  It is designed to be
compatible with CD audio players, DVD players and PC-OS Windows 95,
Pentium 2, 233MHz, 64MB RAM or higher.

This appears in English, French, Spanish and German.  Interestingly,
the French version _does_ call it a CD: "Ce CD contient un dispositif
technique limitant..." as does (don't know German though) the German:
"Kopiergeschutzte CD".

The French and Spanish versions also say "...Windows 95, Pentium 2,
233MHz, 64MB RAM ou superieur."  This, to my thinking, means it should
play under Linux.

> If it does not you should return it to the store as unfit for the purpose
> for which it is sold.

Not actually my CD, one of my work colleagues owns it.  I was going to
buy the album as I'm massive fan of ADF.  However considering I won't
be able to play it, I'll likely end up downloading it.  Gee that was
effective wasn't it, EMI.

--
Rev Simon Rumble <simon at rumble.net>
www.rumble.net

In politics, what begins in fear usually ends in folly.

- Samuel Taylor Coleridge